Working at the strange intersection of information security, online privacy, and open government. Over 10 years of experience at writing, coding, teaching, and public speaking.
U.S. General Services Administration May 2014 - Present
As Senior Advisor on Technology for GSA's Technology Transformation Service, I work across the federal government to modernize its approach to information security and transparency. I work closely with 18F, an in-house technology office that helps design, build, and buy modern infrastructure for the rest of the federal government.
Sunlight Foundation 2009 - May 2014
The Sunlight Foundation is a non-partisan non-profit dedicated to increasing government transparency through technology. I was a core software developer on Sunlight's technology team, and a program officer on its international team.
Selected Writing at Sunlight
thoughtbot, inc. 2006 - 2008
thoughtbot is a web development consultancy that, during my tenure, took on work primarily in Ruby and Rails.
I was a web developer for various clients, spoke at meetups and industry events, and wrote for thoughtbot's blog.
Blue State Digital Aug 2008 - Nov 2008
Blue State Digital is a tech consultancy for campaigns.
I worked as a web developer exclusively on the 2008 Obama presidential campaign, contributing code to various high-impact pieces of barackobama.com.
- Tenebril, inc. — 2005-2006 — Junior researcher and developer at a (now defunct) anti-spyware company.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute — graduated 2005 — Bachelor's in Computer Science.
- Made a simple and popular JSON-to-CSV converter to make JSON a little more approachable.
- Raised awareness about the weaknesses of the SHA-1 algorithm through approachable research and developer tools.
- Organized volunteers to collect and share the work of the US government's inspectors general.
- Co-organized Open Data Day DC as part of International Open Data Day in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
- Turned isitchristmas.com into a high-traffic experiment in real-time global interaction, and made an IFTTT channel.
- With Lindsay Young, found and drew renditions of the unlabeled door to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.